16 August 2008

A raging drunken perspective

:Everyone knows football rules in Texas & tonight the Texans are in New Orleans for preseason(Astros lost again vs. Arizona). Here are my perspectives on the game tonight: No more talk about a quarterback controversy here in Houston ; Matt Schaub (14 of 16 187 yds 2 tds),versus NFL starting caliber players, outplayed Sage Rosefels(6 of 8 94 yds 0 tds), versus backups. Kevin Walter(6 rec 100yrds 1 td) is an amazing reciever!!! Let us all hope Chris Brown stays healthy, because he looks to be perfect for this run blocking scheme. While I'm speaking of blocking; Duane Brown did another solid job against a quality end in the league. Holy crap! Did Smithiak score again by getting an undervalued player? So far , so good.Onto the defense : these guys did not so look. I know that the play calling is a little vanilla for defense in the preseason ; so I won't get too stressed but.... WHERE IS THE PASS RUSH!?!?!!!! Drew Brees(who is a helluva qb) had WAY TOO MUCH TIME! in the pocket & diced apart our secondary. They played special attention to Jacques Reeves(I hope he's not a liability during the regular season). I don't have the stats on plays against him ; but I especially remember a play where Reggie Bush hurdled him for a touchdown. I do know they where going after him a lot; which is a concern for me because I know other teams will be looking for weaknesses. Is Reeves a weakness? Onto the pass rush....or lack of pass rush. I know it's preseason & teams are not showing their hands as far as their different strategies are concerned , but there was no pressure on the quarterback at all. Still no pass rush? The front four need to generate a lot more considering the fact that the secondary will still be lacking until Robinson will be ready after the bye(it looks like teams will be keying on Reeves this season instead of Feagans). Hey Jacoby Jones...you need to HOLD ON TO THE FOOTBALL!!! Potential is a killer of coaches & teams. Often a team will hang onto a player because of "potential" This kind of performance for the second week in a row is not acceptable ; especially with the competition at receiver. The Texans cannot afford to waste a roster spot on "potenial" That being said, I trust the decision if Smithiak concerning him. Back to the positives. Kris Brown is one of the best in this league; another excellent performance! Chris Taylor looked like he gained a lot of confidence since the first game; let's hope that is really just a cramp that held him out of the rest of the game & not anything serious. Steve Slaton played versus the 3rd & 4th string but this guy looks like a helluva NFL player. He will surprise a lot of people.I'm looking forward to a long & illustrious career with the Texans. It looks like Alex Brink was a solid pick he had good poise in he pocket & scrambled well. I would tend to give Gary Kubiak the benefit of the doubt on quarterbacks because he has a TON of experience on that position. In fact, I trust Smith/Kubiak on all of their decisions(even the ones i disagree with), because these guys have come through everytime. Solid second preseason game; I'm expecting great things come regular season.

1 comment:

texanmaniac said...

Rage!

Thanks for the play by play. I think Kubes was letting the Broncos and Saints get some reps. I hope the Pass Rush shows up against the girls.

GO TEXANS!!!!