13 June 2008

Random Thoughts

I've just got a few thoughts on the world of sports in general. I went to youtube the other day and watched the last 54 secs of the Lakers vs Pistons in game 7 of the 1988 finals. That got my heart to pumping. The Forum, Magic, Kareem, Byron Scott, James Worthy, Micheal Cooper, A.C Green, Isiah, Lambeir, Pat Riley, Chuck Daly. What a great era in NBA history. Those days are done and although I love a good basketball game if the Lakers had choked up a 24pt lead at home in the 80's, I would have been suicidal. Our loyal, lone reader, DC, knows how obsessed I was back then. I turned off the tv in the 3rd quarter and didn't even care. I just cannot get into the NBA like I used to. Maybe if the Rockets get passed the 1st round, I could get excited again. And just for the record, I totally believe that the NBA will manipulate games to keep superstars on the court, but I'm not so sure, that they would actually plan to purposely extend a series
It appears that our Astros are headed for 81-81. The rotation is average, the bull pen is above average, the hitting is good, but doesn't come up in the clutch often enough. Good pitching beats good hitting and that's whats happening to the Astros. I really like the young guys they have brought up lately, Abercrombie and the lefty pitcher Wright. I think Erstad, Blum, and Loretta should play more often. I guarantee the Astros will get plenty of sportscenter coverage this weekend with the Yanks in town. I still think Puma could win the MVP, because it is clear that he is the MVP of the this team.
I don't know if you like horse racing or not, but if you get the chance go to youtube and watch Secretariat at the 1973 Belmont. Simply amazing!
Finally, Texans season is just around the corner. I am so pumped for this season. I hope we get more readers because this blog should be loads of fun. We are going to do a feature where we give immediate, drunken reaction to what just happened, then in the following days we will analyze our reaction and further discuss the game and get ready for the next. I CANNOT WAIT! GO TEXANS!!!

1 comment:

Bothfeetin said...

I totally agree. I was on the phone with my girl while watching the first half of the Lakers/Celtics game last night and I made the comment that it looks like Kobe has found the answer. He was drawing triple teams through out the half, and was passing out to a wide open perimeter shooter who drained the shot almost every time. But in the second half the shots wouldn't fall because it was obvious his teammates were overachieving and what really is the issue at hand is that in today's sports there just isn't a supporting cast and roll player mentality there once was. If you look back at the really great teams in the NBA, you'll see the Jordans, the Magics, the Birds, and yes the Olajuwons, but what you also see are the supporting cast of really good players who picked up the loose ball, who made a clutch three, who knew their rolls and came through time after time. In this modern world of big money and superstar mentality, what is hurting the game and the interest of the faithful is the lack of "team" for the sake of selling tickets and T-shirts. It's a diluted talent base and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.